Virginia Docent Exchange General Questions
1. What is the Virginia Docent Exchange?
The Virginia Docent Exchange is a conference held every two years planned by museum/art center volunteers and Staff to exchange ideas and innovations in museum practices. The Exchange is hosted at a member museum on a rotating basis every two years.
2. When is the next Exchange?
Exchanges are held every two years for two days in the Spring. The 2019 Docent Exchange will be hosted by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia.
3. Who can attend the Exchange?
Anyone! If you are a docent, volunteer, or staff member at a member museum you get to attend at a discounted price. If you are not not associated with a member museum, you can still attend by paying a higher registration fee.
1. What are the registration fees?
Your registration fee will depend on your status as Member Museum or Non Member Museum Docent or Staff member and if you are registering for the two day conference or one day conference. Please check our registration page to find your registration fee.
2. What is the difference between one-day registration and two-day registration?
One day registration means you register for either the Dinner and Keynote Speaker OR the Education Workshops. There are separate registrations forms for each day. Please make sure you fill out the correct registration form!
Two day registration means you can attend BOTH the Dinner and Keynote Speaker and the Education Workshops. Two-Day registration is a single registration form.
3. How can I register for the exchange?
Easy! Visit our registration page and select the registration day form you wish to register. You may choose to register electronically or by printing and mailing your registration form and payment. We hope to see you there!
4. Oops! I’ve made a mistake on my registration form! What do I do?
E-mail the host museum. Information coming soon!
5. When is the deadline to register for the exchange?
1. Who can present a workshop at an Exchange?
Only member museums can present at an Exchange.
2. How do I submit a workshop proposal?
If you are a member museum, please go to our Proposal page and fill out the Workshop Proposal Form and submit it. If you prefer to submit your proposal by paper, we do have a pdf for you to download and print out on the Proposal page.
3. When is the deadline to submit a workshop proposal?
1. What are the requirements of Member Museums?
Please read our bylaws to review requirements of Member Museums. You can review our Bylaws here!
2. How can my museum become a Member Museum?
Please submit a membership application on our website by visiting our Join the Exchange page.
3. My museum is already a member and we need to pay our dues. How do we pay our dues?
Dues must be paid in November the year prior to the upcoming Exchange for your museum to receive the discounted registration fee. Dues are $150 biennially. To pay your dues, please visit our Pay Your Dues page or send a check to the host museum. Please contact the host museum for more information.